Friday, September 23, 2005

The Autumn Poem - Fifty Word Fiction Friday Vol. 25



The 50 Word Fiction Friday theme this week is: Autumn.

The Story Behind The Fiction (A.K.A. The Inspiration): I was reading John Milton last night - particularly L'Allegro. This poem wasn't part of the reading assignment (I have to read bits of Paradise Lost by Monday, in between writing a paper and studying for a midterm for my other lit class. Oy.) but the 'Intro to Milton' pages I read made the poem sound really interesting. So I thought, hey, what the hay! and read it just for fun. Because it's always nice to read something for fun, especially in between reading several somethings you're to be tested on later. So I read L'Allegro last night (and enjoyed it) and a couple of hours before that I was reading part of Spencer's Faerie Queen. Since I've got the words of these two brilliant poets in my head I couldn't help but be inspired.

I love writing poetry. To me, writing poetry is like playing golf; I don't have to be good at it to enjoy it. :) Lately, I've just been flirting around with poetry writing, scribbling down a line or two here and there whenever something strikes my fancy. But today, well, I guess I just have poetry on the brain. So the Muse, armed with a poetry-gorged-mind and my total infatuation with Autumn inspired the following poem.

The Autumn Poem

The road I walked, as oft I do,
When eyes of mine espied a hue
So vibrant there it made me pause
To wonder at it's wondrous cause.
The Maker soon before my sight
Came robed in crimson golden light,
The source of Nature's gaiety,
Dear Autumn in her majesty.

And yes, its EXACTLY fifty words! And perfect iambic tetrameter! (Well, I think). I'm still amazed I got it to 50 words. It was 49, actually, but one little change and voila! 50 words bay-bee! Now all I need to do is come up with a better title than The Autumn Poem. :) But it will do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment