Thursday, November 20, 2003

As I was driving to the nanowrimo write-in last night I was listening to the radio, as one is likely to do in a car. A couple minutes into the drive, as I was in heavy stop-and-go traffic, playing a crowed automobile version of the bunny hop on my way to the highway, I was flipping through the radio stations and found a Metallica song. METALLICA! So I'm singing along...

I can't remember anything
Can't tell if this is true or dream


... and braking and gassing (as in pressing the gas pedal for all you stinky minded people out there), braking and gassing and singing...

Deep down inside I feel to scream
This terrible silence stops me


... and then something evil happened. My Metallica was replaced by some spanish guy. Eek! I inched forward a bit and Metallica came back on. Yes! Another inch, another station. NO! It seems that this Metallica station barely reaches out to where I was. Total bummer. The traffic light ahead of me turns green, we all start bunny hopping forward, inch by inch, and I can tell that the station is turning back to Spanish Guy so I stop further back from the car in front of me than I normally would. The guy behind me though continues to inch forward, despite the fact that I have stopped moving. He was trying to get just that teensy bit closer to his destination, as if those extra few inches would mean the difference between catching some hot three way action in some Cinemax/Skinemax movie and missing all of it. So the car is crawling up my car's butt and I say, to no one in particular really, "Dude! Metallica!"

Please god wake me

Finally I got on the freeway (and Metallica songs are long so that tells you how long it took to get down one stinkin' street! Grrr!) I switched stations again and found another Metallica song. METALLICA!

I'm your dream, mind astray
I'm your eyes while you're away
I'm your pain while you repay


You know what, listening to Metallica while driving in 'rush home from work in Los Angeles' traffic can be dangerous. It made me want to play bumper cars as I changed lands and slid over to the fast lane.

You know it's sad but true

I got to the write-in in less time that it took the last few times I drove there. Less time = less accidents to slow the highway down. People are so inconsiderate sometimes, crashing into other people, jamming up traffic for miles and miles. Oy to the vey! Seems I missed the bad drivers last night. No, wait. The bad drivers were still there. They always are, and that's a scary thought. A scarier thought is that one day my not-yet-a-sparkle-in-my-eye child will be driving in scary crazy highway traffic.

Anywhoo... I was at it all night and boy were fingers tired. I'm talking about writing here. Not driving and flipping cars off. Or... well... other stuff. Writing. I had to write out by hand since there wasn't an extra laptop for me to borrow. The good thing about that is I think I wrote more at this write-in, writing by hand, than I have at the other two when I had a laptop to type on. And its more than I'd written all day at home. Now I just have to type it all up. Oy to the vey again! So I guess I'll stop typing up this post now. Gotta save my strength. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment