Friday, June 17, 2005

Last night's phone conversation with my mom.

My mom called me yesterday as she was driving home from work to tell me she enjoyed the email I'd sent her. The email was mostly a combination of the two earthquake posts I wrote yesterday, minus the in-the-moment f-bombs, plus a bit more elaboration on all the shaking going on's and such. I think I even compared the length of the earthquake to that of the Energizer Bunny's stamina - a not-so-funny exaggeration, but I threw it in there nonetheless. And she still found my email amusing!

She even went so far as to say I had, and I quote, "'such a way with words.'"

Aren't moms super?

She said the email made her laugh, and that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. She said she laughed loud enough that someone walking by her office wondered what all the commotion was about. And I wasn't even trying to be that amusing.

We then went on to talk about the earthquakes we've felt in the past. One of the scariest ones she ever experienced was while she was working on the third floor of an office building, right next to a floor to ceiling glass wall. She said it felt, as she looked out the huge window as the building started to sway, like she was actually falling to the ground! Eek!

Then my mom drove past my dad, who likes to walk to and from work (why didn't I inherit that need to walk miles every day?) and she commented on how particularly cute he looked with his hair all wind blown. She mentioned how cute he looked at leastI three times (and how cute is that?) then we talked about a bunch of other things.

Before we hung up, Mom mentioned again how much she enjoyed my email. I blushed, again, still feeling high from the rush of the warm fuzzy glow I got when she said this at the beginning of the conversation.

For a moment, I wondered if maybe she was just being nice. Maybe she thought that I was trying to be funny, and maybe she thought that I failed miserably at it. So maybe she just wanted to say something nice so my feelings weren't hurt.

But then I thought, naaahh. I don't think she'd go out of her way to lie about something like that. Once, when I was a youngling, I wanted her opinion about a couple of poems I'd written. I love my mom and all, but she wasn't any bloody help. She said she had no idea how to write poetry, that she didn't know what was good and what wasn't, so she couldn't be any help to me. Which, in hindsight, is really a bunch of smelly bullpucky. I don't know how to paint masterpieces, but I can still give an opinion on them! She probably read them, thought they were horrible, but didn't want to lie to me and say they were good. So she opted for not saying anything at all. Maybe.

So would she say that something I wrote wasn't any good? Probably, if I asked her honest opinion about it. But would she go out of her way to say something was good without any prompting, if it wasn't? I doubt it.

So she probably really thought my email was funny. Ahhh... there's that warm fuzzy glow again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment