Monday, March 28, 2005

Is it Friday yet?

So... guess how my vacation started.

If your guess falls anywhere near the warm and fuzzy category you are far, far off my friend.

Early Thursday morning, around 1:30 AM, I was picking my boyfriend up off the side of the street like he was a common hooker. (I told him I'd write that and he chuckled.) I had to pick him up because his car no longer works. It was in a car accident and the front is all smooshed. Now, the HB's fine and the other guy's fine, so in the grand scheme of things that's all that really matters. But that doesn't mean there aren't a bunch of problems to follow that will be causing me stress and a reason to exercise my extensive cussing vocabulary. I'd give you more details but won't because of possible future legal reasons. (I told the boyfriend I'd write that too and he chuckled again.)

That was all I could do for him that first day; be there for him and make him laugh occasionally. I didn't know what to say to make him feel better, maybe because there aren't any magic words that fix the fixable in a mere matter of nanoseconds and disappear everything else. I didn't know if I should comfort him or kick him in the ass. I tried to give him a healthy dose of both.

Man was I ball of nerves as I drove to pick him up. He called and asked me to pick him up at the accident and not the hospital, so I comforted myself with the knowledge that he couldn't have been too badly hurt. I didn't know about the other guy, but the HB didn't sound like the situation was bad on the phone, so I figured everyone was okay. In my happy little bubble world I wouldn't accept anything else. Once I logically reasoned that everyone was okay I got angry, because anger is a lot more easily handled that worry. I can't remember what I was angry about now, so it was probably all trivial stuff.

So the HB ended his 20's with a 'bang'. Ha ha not that funny. The next day, Friday, he turned 30. And we went and bought him a motorcycle. It seemed so logical at the time. He's been wanting a motorcycle for over a year now. He poured over For Sale ads in the penny saver hoping to find the motorcycle he wanted for a price he could afford. He was finally getting to the point financially where he'd feel comfortable enough to buy one and then whammo! This happens.

Ain't that how it always goes? You finally feel like things are falling into place, that you're getting your shit together, and whammo! The shit comes together just to blow up in your face. That's sort of how we both feel at the moment. I thought I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel myself but it was just one of the Fates giving me the finger; a finger with a fingernail covered in glow-in-the-dark nail polish. Just when I start to think optimistically about the debt I'm in, just when I feel good enough to say, 'yeah, the Credit Card Monster's got me by the short and curlies, but I'm paying them off rather well lately and everything will be fine in no time', something like this happens. Something that's going to cost me more money and make me do the money juggle dance. Sons of bitches!!!!

The HB also wants an SUV. Almost as much as he wanted a motorcycle. As we were standing in the parking lot waiting for the guys to bring around the motorcycle we'd just bought, I turned to the HB and said, "Please don't wreck the motorcycle to get your SUV. I don't want to have to buy it out of necessity too."

I wish we would have bought a cheap little clunker he'd hate, but seeing how giddy he is with his new toy makes me think differently. Well, only a little bit. I hate motorcycles. And I hate that the HB will be riding on one. He used to own a motorcycle... about ten years ago. And you know why he hasn't ridden one in such a long time? Ten years ago some crazy reckless driver drove him and his motorcycling buddies off the side of the road. They were all right, but their motorcycles were all smashed to shit. And now he's on one again. Oh yeah. But at least he has transportation.

*sigh*

So that was my vacation. No trek to the beach for a nice relaxing weekend for us, no spontaneous jaunt to Las Vegas for a couple of days, no carefree Thursday where I didn't have to worry about anything because I was on a vacation. Instead the HB wakes me up in the middle of the night because he'd just been in a car accident and needed a ride home. And we spend the weekend stressed out about dozen different things instead of relaxing and forgetting about everything else.

On the bright side, apart from the 'no one was hurt' thing, I went to my parent's house Saturday night (dropping the HB off at his parent's house in the process) and easter morning, since I was going to be leaving before dinner (we were doing a very quick easter family drive-by) my mom let me sample the lemon pie thing she'd made for easter dessert. It was goooooood and made a most excellent breakfast. :)

*starts to whistle 'always look on the bright side of life'*

2 comments:

  1. awww, poor loony. *hugs* hang in there, things will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *still hanging*

    thanks :)

    ReplyDelete