Tuesday, January 27, 2004

I Am Princess. Hear Me Ring My Servant's Bell.

Mr. BigBossMan comes into the office a while ago. There's no one here to bug except for me. Not even my immediate boss, Mr. BigBossMan's right hand gopher lackey boy. This upsets Mr. BigBossMan so. I can tell. He wishes he were a cartoon so steam could shoot out of his ears. That way his minions would know how much this upsets him, this not being exactly where he wants them to be the second he wants them. Mr. BigBossMan plays it cool, but I'm on to him. Oh yes I am.

Mr. BBM: do you know where Lackey Boy is?
Me: I have no idea.
Mr. BBM: Hmmm...
Mr. BBM: *stands there for a few seconds - maybe looking to make sure no one's hiding from him under a desk*
Mr. BBM: *pictures how boss-like he'd look with steam coming out ears*
Mr. BBM: ...Why don't I just call him on his cell?
Me: *realizes this is rhetorical question and does not need to be answered with 'because you don't want to harass your employees anymore than you have already this morning'*
Mr. BBM: *whips out phone and dials Lackey Boy's cell phone number* [pause] Hey there Studly.

Studly? He called him Studly??? Is he trying to be funny? Or flattering? I feel as though I've missed a particularly interesting memo.

There used to be two Lackey Boys working here. And they used to whisper sweet nothings into the phone when talking to each other, making you think they were talking to their wives, then they'd say 'Okay. Talk to you later [Insert Male Coworker Name Here]' and hang up. And that was funny. At least the first couple of times they did it. Is Mr. BigBossMan trying to hone in on that friendly playful vibe? If he is, it isn't working out to well.

Studly?

*shudder*

I don't know if that's better than what one of the supervisors called me yesterday. I was helping him clear out some records in the computer software system we use. He gets distracted by one of the other supervisors, then returns his attention back to me. And he says, "Now where were we princess?"

Princess? That weirded me out a bit. Not in a 'he's so pervy' kind of way. It's just that that's something he should be calling his daughter. Not a coworker. Maybe its because I'm so much younger than him. And maybe it's partly a language barrier thing. Still, it made me feel like I should be wearing a shiny dress with a poofy skirt and a tiara. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing... its just not an outfit I can wear to work. Bummer that. ::sigh::

Hmm... I wonder... next time the company wants to pretend like they're promoting me to a new position, one with more work and responsibilities sans the pay increase, they'll have to come up with a new job title. I wonder if I can squeeze the word princess in there. Office Princess. Has a nice ring to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment