Thursday, May 12, 2005

Warning: this chair may cause severe butt soreness after prolonged exposure

Apparently my boss is a big fat liar. 'One hour' my ass! Yesterday's meeting lasted FOUR AND A HALF HOURS! Yes, that's what he originally scheduled the meeting for, but he didn't know when we'd be meeting, so he blocked out a excessively large chunk of time to cover all bases. He said he didn't think it would take more than an hour. Two tops. But after two hours we were only through the first of three pages! And we're still not done.

The plan is to finish everything up on Friday. Early Friday. As soon as I walk in the door Friday. Bah! But hey, the earlier we start the earlier we finish. Well, hopefully that's how it will work. Hopefully its not a situation of 'we have 20 more hours of stuff to go over so let's start early and see how much we can knock out in 8'. Fun, huh?

We started the meeting yesterday around 10:30am. A couple of hours later we were booted out of the conference room by another group's previously scheduled meeting. That was around 1pm. Yes, that means I missed the conference call I wanted to attend. Darn it. Hope it wasn't anything toooooo important. So me (the only girl) and the guys had to find another room because we were far from done. Nothing was available, and the lunch that we'd ordered was just a few minutes away from arriving, so we went outside to conduct the rest of the meeting on the plastic smoke break benches.

You know what? If you're going to be stuck in a meeting for a couple more hours, after already being stuck in the meeting for two hours and counting, its great to be outside. Especially on such an awesomely beautiful day like yesterday. Makes the fact that you're still working just a teensy bit better. So we ate pizza and continued on with our action planning while sitting outside, with its clear blue skies, warm sun, and cool breeze. It was nice.

But boy was my butt sore afterwards. Plastic bench seats can become quite uncomfortable after the first hour. Oy!

I finally got back up to my office a little after 3pm. That's four and a half hours of my life I'll never get back. :( It really wasn't that bad though, at least for the first couple of hours. We didn't get smacked around like a catnip smelling toy mouse like I thought we were. The Guy actually said we were in a 'really good position'. This was some really good sly, fly-under-the-radar ass kissing to make us feel better about all the work we still have to do. But it worked. Heh.

And boy do we have a lot of work ahead of us. That's what the meeting was about, making a list of all the things we need to do. The last part of the meeting was about assigning names of those responsible for each item. My name's not on the list the most (I think Zack's is) but its on the list a lot. So... er... go me! Some of the things I need to do I've been doing for... well... its seems like forever already. And if you've been reading this blog over the last couple of months you've probably noticed me whining about it. Probably. I know I've been pretty subtle about. :)

During the last half hour or so of the meeting, when I was ready to start banging my head against the plastic table for a little bit of excitement, I was almost willing to volunteer my name for everything on the list. Good thing the meeting ended when it did. :)

But as sucky as the day was, with the painfully long meeting with only one potty break and a working-through lunch, the boyfriend had a much suckier day. Much, much, much suckier. I complained about my day, then he told me all about his. He's got this new boss that acts like a military drill instructor and is on a major power trip at the moment. The HB was talking to the Drill Instructor when he noticed one of his employees was limping badly. When the Drill Instructor stopped talking, the HB asked the limper if he was alright, if he needed to go to the doctor or file a 'hurt on the job' report or anything. Drill Instructor Guy later yelled at the HB for disrespecting him, like the HB was supposed to ignore the hurt employee and give his undivided attention to the manager who's busy flashing his ego-inflated balls around like trophies and not letting his supervisors do their jobs.

There was a lot more crap that went on. A lot more crap that's making the HB think he needs to find another job. Again. So I felt silly for complaining about something so trivial as a stupid meeting.

It feels good to complain, so I'm going to keep on doing it. I'm just need to remind myself while I'm complaining that it can be A LOT worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment