Tuesday, December 23, 2003

I was kickin' it old old school last night. But not by choice.

My amish-like night was forced upon me by who knows what. Maybe some squirrel got hungry and thought the electricity wires looked munchable. It's happened before. I, along with my fellow college students, owe a crazy little squirrel for an all-classes-cancelled-because-there's-no-electricity day. Ah... good times. This time, however, I was just stuck at home with no electricity. Boy, let me tell you, that's always a nice greeting. 'Hey, welcome home! Don't trip and break anything! Ha Ha Ha.' I called the apartment office to see if I was the only lucky one, but it had affected three other buildings. Ha!

So anyway... I couldn't turn on the computer, television or radio, so I curled up on a chair next to a blinds-opened window (lamps didn't work), wrapped in a heavy comforter (heater didn't work), with a mini bag of cheetos (stove wasn't working so no dinner) and a really good book. And it was all good, because I was in a total curl-up-on-the-couch-with-a-book-and-blanket mood. So hey, how convenient!

I thought I'd read for a bit until the electricity came on. Then I'd cook up some dinner. Then read some more. But the electricity fixers were taking their sweet time! I thought about chilling at McDonald's with a cheeseburger and my book for a couple of hours, or braving the malls for a couple of hours, but I didn't want to go out anywhere. And I didn't want to have to come back home to a dark, non-electric apartment and try and relight my candle. Because by the time I thought of going out somewhere I was reading by candlelight (couldn't find the damn flashlight of course). It was kind of fun. With a dash of danger thrown into the pot for a bit of flavor. I had a big nice-smelling candle on my lap. I poofed up the blanket to surround the candle to keep it from falling over, and it was pretty secure, but there was always the possibility of tippage and spillage of hot wax all over the place. Yep. That's me. Danger Girl.

Plus, I'm trying to see how long I can stretch out the four dollars in my wallet without having to resort to pulling out the credit card. I think I might have to pull it out today though, because I'm almost out of cold medicine. Damn damn damn you cold germs! Go away already! You're not welcome here! And for some reason (probably because I can't afford it) I'm really in the mood for some heavily greasy hashbrown circle thingies from Carl's Jr. That sounds sooooo good right now. Damn damn damn you empty bank account!

So anyway... thankfully the electricity came back on around 9:30 that night. I was afraid I was going to have to resort to setting the alarm on my cellphone (who's battery was almost dead and couldn't be recharged because there was no electricity!) It probably would have woken me up, but I have a feeling Murphy's Law would have intervened.

I'm sorry, I can't make it into work today. See, my electricity is out. And I didn't wake up on time. And now that I'm late I might as well not come in at all. Yeah. Okay. So bye. The battery is almost dead on my ce--

And, by that time, I was tired of reading by candlelight, even though I was at a really good place in the book. So I turned on the tv and found the movie An Affair to Remember just starting. It was once more all good in the neighborhood. "It was the nearest thing to heaven." ::sigh:: I love that movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment