Thursday, August 07, 2003

Browser History: Link to the first site you can remember visiting on the Internet.*

Wow. First site I can remember? No one particular site comes to mind. There were a few though that I frequented a lot, and they took up most of my allotted 'net time. When my parents first got us hooked up to the internet, my dad would allow me and my brother only 30 minutes a day of surf time. ONLY 30 MINUTES!!! I know, I know, the torture! That's hardly time to do anything! Especially with as slow a connection as we had back then.

-- One site I used to visit often was lyrics.ch, which is no longer there as it used to be. It was taken over by songtext.net and now has a lot more things to look at than just lyrics. Spiffy!

-- I used to play games at riddler.com all the time. It was a game site where you could earn tickets/tokens that could be cashed in for prizes (like cool t-shirts with the Riddler logo on it). I did the weekly trivia games and the crosswords. Plus the memory picture type games. I loved that site! Unfortunately the 'Play-For-Tokens' aspect disappeared before I got enough points for a t-shirt. Bummer dude. The site is still up though, with a slightly different look, and some of the same games are still there. I think I'll be playing some drag race and scrambler later today. Wheeeee!

-- The place I used to hang out the most when we first got hooked up to the internet was the X-Files site at tvguide.com. I competed in the weekly 'Add The Next Paragraph To The X Story' contest. That was a lot of fun. I never won [:(] but it was a lot of fun to see where each new winner would take the story next. I think I saved one of the stories. I'll have to look for it and give it a quick reread. When I wasn't writing and submitting my version of the next part of the story, I was hanging out at the message boards. The x-philes there were a fun bunch of people. It was so frelling frustrating to go to that site though because it took forever for the page to load. It was during the height of the show and there were so many messages being posted. Before then, I never knew 30 minutes could fly by so fast.

-- I also used to look at geocities sites. I even made one, because I thought it would be sooooooo cool to have my very own website. It looked like crap back then, and it hasn't improved much (though I did learn some more HTML and CSS). I could do a shameless plug and mention my stupid crappy geo site - [insert shameless plug here] the loony zone [/insert] - but I'm not that kind of gal. :)

Out of all of these, the one I probably visited first was riddler.com, since my brother pointed it out to me. He jumped online before I ever did and was always finding the cool sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment