Sunday, August 10, 2003

Ooo look at me! I'm full of quotes today…

"I reached Claremont at 6:00, driving through Ontario, Montclair, and Pomona; all townships without real towns, a peculiar California phenomenon in which a series of shopping malls and acres of tract houses acquire a zip code and become realities on the map." - Sue Grafton, "A" is for Alibi

I love this book and this author. And I love this quote because I live in one of these little townships. I've lived here for a few years now and I still find it strange sometimes how I all I have to do is drive two blocks over and I'm in another town. If I drive a few streets down I'm in yet another town. I'm surrounded by little towns! Maybe I only find this strange because it’s a lot different than from the place where I grew up. Porterville is similar in size (both cities cover an area about 15 square miles) but when you're in P-ville you have to drive through a lot of nothing before you get to the next town. Where I live now, in Upland, the towns are all crammed up together, making it seem like they're one great big city. Plus, Upland has about 67% more people living in it that P-ville has. All those extra people are living in houses in the 'in between cities' zone. *

No comments:

Post a Comment