Friday, February 20, 2004

Strolling down Memory Lane... part 1

I'm in a 'Let's Pretend I'm a Singing Super Star' mood tonight so I'm listening to a bunch of CDs with girls singing on them. So I can pretend I'm just like them. I've got Etta James, The Carpenters, Spice Girls, Nnenna Freelon, and a few others ready to be played. I'm thinking about adding my Disney Princesses CD to the mix. I'd add Patsy Cline to the play list, but I don't have her on CD, which is something I plan on doing once I find a CD with all the songs I want on it. I found it once, a cd with a rare favorite of mine on it, and I didn't buy it. *smacks palm to forehead for umpteenth time*

But I digress... Debbie Gibson's Greatest Hits is playing in the CD player right now. And it's bringing back soooo many warm fuzzy memories. When her Electric Youth album came out, I was about 9 or 10 I think, and I just had to have it. My mom bought it on cassette for me and I listened to it EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! For many, many months. Sometimes I'd listen to just a song or two before I fell asleep. Sometimes I'd listen to a whole side. Or both sides. Or just Lost in Your Eyes over and over and over and over again. I loved that freakin song. Sometimes I'd just listen, other times I'd sing out loud, pretending I was Debbie (I was too young at the time to even fathom the possibility that my bedroom walls weren't really all that soundproof, and I was singing loud enough for my parents to hear, which I'm sure they did on occasion, which embarrasses me highly to think about so I will end this particular flashback right now). Whenever the song came on the radio during the day I would sing along, and my mom loved it. She said I sounded just like Debbie Gibson. I didn't, but I loved her for saying so. As I'm singing along to it now, I realize that I sound even less like her. I grew up and lost my Debbie singing voice! Waaahhhhhh! Now I'll never become a famous singer! Maybe I'm just out of practice. Yeah, that's it.

Anywho, I was obsessed with my Electric Youth tape (I even got the Electric Youth perfume as a gift once!) I listened to it every night. And after awhile I created a whole mental music video for Lost in Your Eyes, staring yours truly of course, and I would play it over and over again in my head. I had scenes for almost every song on that tape. They played out like my own little musical, staring yours truly of course. I don't recall much about the daydream musical, but I know I always got the guy in the end. Of course. And he was, well... dreamy. For Lost In Your Eyes I was on a beach. And there was a swing set there. I would sit on my swing, stare out at the ocean, and sing about getting lost in My Love's eyes. ::sigh::

The song Electric Youth didn't really fit into my musical scenario, so during that song I pictured myself singing and dancing on stage for a sort of school talent show/musical extravaganza, staring yours truly of course. I was awesome. And the crowd loved me. I wasn't the only one on stage. I had background dancers. But I was the main feature.

Those were some good daydreams. This 'best of' cd is okay, but I miss listening to that Electric Youth album. I wonder if I still have it somewhere... I doubt it. Darn. I think I might have to go buy it. Just so I can listen to some of those songs again. I should write a thank you letter to Debbie Gibson for writing such wonderful songs, and inspiring me to create such vivid daydreams that kept me entertained for hours on end.

No comments:

Post a Comment