Wednesday, March 24, 2004

fifty word fiction

I wrote another Fifty Word Fiction story yesterday. It's titled 'Stanley the Guardian Shrub.' Catchy, eh? Yeah, I know. But that's the best I could come up with.

The story was a hard one to write because I was way over the 50-word mark before I was even half way done with Stanley's tale.

So I had to cut it down a bit. A lot of bits actually.

And unfortunately it was much better before the cuts. I should have kept all those words instead of deleting them, so I could write a longer version of the shrub story. But then, it's really too stupid a story to write a longer version of it. So here it is, in the smallest form possible to create the least amount of eye bleeding:

Stanley the Guardian Shrub

I was walking through the woods when a shrub shook its leaves and roared, "Access denied!"

I ignored it so it shook again.

"I am Stanley! Beware my shrubbery fighting skills!"

I moved quickly, stomping it to the ground.

"Beware my stomping skills beyotch!" I said and continued my walk.



I don't like it, but I think I'm going to submit it to the Fifty Word Fiction site anyway. Only I don't know what category to classify this as.

Is it 'dark' because of the shrub's death?
Is it 'sci-fi' because of the shrub's speech abilities?
Is it 'comedy' because of the name Stanley?
Is it 'general fiction' because of the army like quality of I's fighting skills?
Or is it 'other' because it doesn't fit anywhere else?

I think there needs to be a 'strange' category. And in that I would reign supreme! Woo! Well, not really. But a girl can dream, can't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment