Thursday, October 09, 2003

Six Loony Recurrent Dream Themes *
(of the dreams I remember upon awakening, of course)

1. Something happening that I want to happen

ex: winning the lottery, reading about a set publishing date for the new Harry Potter book.

Why can't those types of dreams skip merrily off to Forgetful Land instead of racing to the forefront of my mind?

2. Cameos: friends/family

ex: I've seen my dad in a dream, the H.B. in dreams***, and the H.B.'s family. I've also seen my bestest of friends in dreams, though I don't think I've ever dreamt them as accessories to crimes *cough AJ cough*. :)

3. Cameos: celebrity

ex: Donald Duck's nephews (Huey, Dewy, and Louie chased me around a wall in the middle of my parent's living room), James and Lars from Metallica (they went off-roading with me and the H.B.) and Billy Idol (that dream had a Mad Max sort of theme. we were preparing for a tournament.)

4. and 5. Helplessness and Frustration

A lot of the times these two themes go hand in hand in my dreams, but not always. In my dreams I've been frustrated a lot. Frustrated at not being able to move fast enough, or move my body the way I want it to. In my dreams I've been lost, confused, and up against the clock... but never in a nightmarish sort of way, thank goodness.

6. Weirdness

Then there are some dreams that are so bizarre that they can't be explained. One moment you're standing in the supermarket wearing bunny slippers and buying pickles, the next your waiting for the bus in a little mermaid costume (which is, of course, a perfectly normal thing to be doing in the dream) and communicating with a tree in Dutch. Or even Klingon. Those dreams fall under the WTF? category. (As in Why The Fuck was I talking to a tree? and What The Fuck did I eat last night to make me dream that?)

***And no, they weren't those kind of dreams! Darn it. One time I dreamed the H.B. and I were getting married in the bakery section at a local supermarket. And instead of standing under a lovely garden trellis we were standing under a plastic camping canopy, a cheap and cheesy one (with green stripes!) that you might pick up in a supermarket. And the guests were on plastic folding chairs. And eating bakery goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment