Monday, September 08, 2003

I was very creative yesterday, taking full advantage of the muse. She was in a particularly good, creative, productive mood for a change. Too bad she's not like that everyday.

I created a new blog to house some small writing bits. I've wanted to start participating in the 5 Minute Stories for awhile now but have never gotten around to actually doing it. Yesterday, though, with my muse cheering me on in the background, I said to myself, "Self, stop pussy footing around and just do it!"

A second later - *POOF* - a mini Rob Schneider, clad head to toe in a not-so-flattering devil spandex outfit (complete with tail), appeared over my left shoulder and said, "Don't listen to that Nike ad you call an inner monologue! Why don't you piddle fart around some more? Go play some more Pop 'n Drop. Remember, procrastination is the key!"

Not to be upstaged, a mini Rob Schneider decked out in full angel attire appeared over my right shoulder and said, "You can doooo iiiit! Don't listen to the spadex king over there. He wouldn't know what the key was even if someone shoved it up his ass. Turn off the radio, stop everything else your doing, and write! You can doooo iiiit!"

I listened to my good angel and turned off the radio. Sometimes I can write with it on, but for some reason it was too distracting yesterday. Maybe it had something to do with Devil Rob shaking his bon bon in time with the music. With the radio off, and me alone with nothing but the muse and headful of ideas just waiting to hatch, I shut down all the extra web browsers I had up and opened a blank word document.

First I wrote a quick fragment bit. Then I wrote my five minute bit. It was hard to get that first idea and then run with it, but it was fun. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually. And hey, maybe even one day I'll actually write something truly interesting. That's the long term goal. Short term goal: breaking myself of the habit of being anal about every single sentence I write. I need to just let loose and not worry about mistakes. *sigh*

After posting those two short bits, I felt like writing some more. I thought about finishing this one PFF story I have looming over my head, chanting 'Finish me! Finish me!' I do want to finish. Really I do. I could always just wrap it up in a chapter, but that would feel like I was cheating the story, and myself. I need to just suck it up and write the several more chapters needed for it. I'll tackle it next since the muse is still jumpy for some more writing. But last night, the muse wanted something she could finish in a few hours. I opted for writing a challenge story using a list someone had posted on the boards. It was fun to write because I came up with one or two lines I really liked. Even if the story wasn't overly popular, those lines cracked me up. So its all good. :)

At one point during the writing of the challenge story I became stuck on a certain description and had to get up and do an Unsticking Of The Mind exercise. This consisted of turning on the radio and creating a new I’m-So-Funky dance to an old Spice Girls tune. Let me just tell you, the dance was very spaztastic! *

No comments:

Post a Comment