Thursday, September 18, 2003

My grandpa called me today because when I called him yesterday on his birthday he had to cut the call short. He was being taken out for a special birthday dinner. But today, when he called me, I had barely gotten out the words "HI GRANDPA" (big caps because I had to yell) before the line went dead.

A minute later my grandma calls me back. "Hi dear, it's Grandma. You're grandpa accidentally hangs up all the time. We're going to try this again but if he hangs up again we're not going to call you back. Just so you know."

She hands the phone to my grandpa, warns him again for what has to be the umpteenth time to be careful and not touch the hang up button, then I hear, "Hi, its me again." It's grandpa! I respond with another loud hello. He gets about three words out before the line goes dead again. Oops. Darn this rascally new technology! :)

This brief conversation reminded me of a story I heard the last time I visited.

A week or so ago my grandpa went into the hospital for surgery. As he's sitting down, filling out paperwork, a hospital worker walks up and asks him if his girlfriend would be coming around to visit him in the hospital while he stays a few days to recover. She asked because the hospital wanted to know if they were going to have to arrange to keep the girlfriend and the wife from running into each other if they happened to visit at the same time.

The thought of this is kind of funny because my grandpa can barely handle himself and my grandma. There's no way he could handle a girlfriend on top of that. I don't know how you could look at my grandpa and think, "I'd better ask if he's got a hot little number on the side."

I guess the hospital is just looking out for the well being of their patients. Just in case. Which is a nice thing. But these patients shouldn't be sharing their magical love rods in the first place. It would be their own damn fault if their harem decided to visit at the same time, causing them to have massive strokes (and I'm not talking the pleasurable kind).

But what I don't get is why the hospital worker asked my grandpa this IN FRONT OF HIS WIFE???

How dumb is that? My grandma says she looked at my grandpa, then looked at the hospital worker and told her that if his 'girlfriend' comes along she'll gladly go to the cafeteria and let her have her turn listening to his nonstop bitching.

Heh. Heh. Heh. I love my grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment