Thursday, April 21, 2005

I'm writing this to tell you I'm too busy to write this.

I don't know if I'll have time to write much today. As well as having a lot of work to do, I have to make it look like I have a lot of work to do, which is work in and of itself. So double the work. Double the pleasure, double the fun! Doublemint, doublemint, doublemint gum.

[ And in this Doublemint Gum commercial, the twins are hunky, semi nekkid, copy machine repair men. And they're here to repair the copy machine that's RIGHT in front of my desk. And there's lots of flexing and bending over. It's a very tricky copier and... ]

So yeah, this is me, looking like I have a lot of work to do. A supervisor just came up to me and told me I should pop into this presentation that's going on right now. Because it would be good to introduce myself to the people inside. Because they're going to need my help later and I'm going to have to train them and shit. Bah!

I so don't want to go in there. And I so hate that about myself.

I'm not that person, that person that just goes every where and introduces myself to strangers and knows what to say at a moments notice. I'd like to be that person, but my brain doesn't work that way. I could pop myself into the conference room, that's easy enough, but when it came my turn to talk I'd trip over my tongue. Some people can trip gracefully, but I am not some people. My mom says its because I'm introverted, and my brain thinks faster than my mouth can keep up with. I think that sounds like a fantastic excuse reason.

I know if I went in there I'd start talking jibberish. Like maybe English isn't my first language. Me. The gal who's supposed to teach them stuff later. That's not exactly a good impression for Teacher to make. So then I'd feel like an idiot. Feel more like an idiot that I already feel.
My immediate supervisor is the one giving the presentation. If he wanted/needed me there he would have said so, right? And anything I would cover, he's surely going to cover, right? Like my desk is in the middle of the floor, the only one occupied on Cubicle Island. It's just an introduction, a general overview of what-to-expect kind of thing, not a this-is-what-we're-doing-when-and-where-be-there-or-be-square kind of thing.

I mean, I don't even know what the presentation is about! I've only heard about this 'key leader' thing once, and not by the boss. What possible information could I possibly contribute? And I have to be training people again? Really? That's news to me! I'm glad this trainer knew she was going to have to be setting up training stuff!!!

So I'm busy. Busy busy busy. Can't possibly spare the minutes right now. Sure, I'll be able to spare them when my boss/immediate supervisor asks me to, but until then I'll be busy. Busy working up the nerve to be Miss Pop In Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment